Breaking Dawn Review

Saturday 26 November 2011









Title says it all. 


Intro to  the day first =.=
Today has been a very hectic day today. I didnt sleep last night, studied for my midterm, went to uni at 7am for my midterm and walked all the way to Bandar Baru to get myself into a cyber cafe so I can pre-register for next semester. Pre-registering in UTAR is worse than the final exam jitters, because my darling uni has <--this much--> bandwidth from its mainserver, and <----------------this many----------------> students. So, every semester, we deal with lagging, getting kicked out by the servers and many other issues, and sometimes we dont get the subject we want. Bummer. Anyway, got my timetable done, and went to Ipoh. To watch Breaking Dawn. 


You see, I started reading the books when the first Twilight movie came out. Actually, ages after that. I didn't actually become a Twihard fan but I love reading. So I read all 4 books. And my favourite was the last one, Breaking Dawn. 


So, imagine my excitement when I found out Breaking Dawn is showing in Ipoh. I got my tickets online, printed every 'document' possible, and went to Ipoh although my ovaries have decided their monthly rebel against me, and I was dead tired and nauseous from all the Redbull I drank. 


Oh yes, I was excited. But, by the end of the movie, I wanted to tear the screen up with my barely there fingernails and run amok at the theater. Or throw a used tampon. Something, anything. I was so angry and upset when  the movie ended. It was like watching a badly made remake by a group of First year theater students who had too much time in their hands. 


The movie stuck close to the book. Good. But the overload of puns and the comedy effect was degrading to the book's original theme. Especially the part where they show Bella turn into a vampire. Her broken ribs inflated, like a sudden boobjob, and a scene that in my head was exhilarating and mindblowing, was reduced into a big joke, in which the whole crowd laughed while I face-palmed countless times. And Renesmee... Seriously!? CGI has gotten a lot better since the first Star Trek franchise started.  They could have done a lot better. And when Jacob imprints on Renesmee, it didnt have the feel of the imprint effect. He says this to Bella, 


"It's not like love at first sight, really. It's more like...gravity moves. When you see her, suddenly it's not the earth holding you here anymore. She does. And nothing matters more than her. And you would do anything for her, be anything for her...You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that's a protector, or a lover, or a friend, or a brother."


Nope, I didnt see that happen. I just saw his knees buckle under him. The way I pictured it in my head when I read it, Jacob's whole life flashes before him and to a sudden halt, it all ends in her eyes, with nothing but void elsewhere. Something like that. Then he can buckle, or do whatever the hell he wants to. 


And Kristen Stewart did an amazing job at being, well very void of facial expressions. Although kudos to her for trying harder this time. And Robert Pattinson managed to have his infamous constipated look. A lot. Although kudos to him too, he tried harder this time. I love these two actors. They ARE amazing. You should see RPatz in How to Be and Remember Me. He was really good. But I dont know what the hell happened here. But I must say, Stewart was really good at playing dead. She pulled it of. Blank eyes, awesome make up, very dead. 


The only thing, I loved as I did in the other three installments were the soundtrack. Twilight has always had amazing soundtrack and I loved it! In my opinion, the only way I could connect all those feelings and emotions I had when reading the books to the movie was the songs. I still remember listening to "White Demon" by The Killers(From Twilight:New Moon) over and over again while studying for my finals. I can still close my eyes and smell my old room, the dim study light, the pain I felt back then, the atmosphere. And Christina Perri's "A Thousand Years" sung for the latest installment fit perfectly into the theme of the whole franchise. 


Overall, it was a badly made movie make of a badly written book originating from a amazingly wonderful theme. 


If you read the books, you will know what I am saying. I thank God for giving me the imagination of a hundred crazies. Of course, reading it, I felt the vampire logic was very of. I mean,c'mon... sparkly vampires with literally marble-like bodies? Wont Edward be having a stiff-on all the godamn time then? (Never thought about that did you Meyer?). And being a virgin for a hundred years? Logic (1) Blood, is always associated with lust, the lust of life, the lust of being alive, the lust of all things. Sex included. (2) He drank human blood before when he was a rebelling young vampire (3)seriously?? But no literature discrimination here. I loved how the story revolved around one thing though. Love. 


Not "Oh I love you because you're so hot!" or "I love you because you're so wonderful to me" or "Lemme cheat on my lover because he loves me so much he will forgive me anyway" love. 
It was about a monster, a monster who knew he was one, who thought he had no soul, and the inability to love and a girl, clumsy, awkward and never fitted into her world with all the 'normalcy'. Edward lived a hundred years, and to live that long, without someone to call you their own, someone to belong to. I have only lived for 22 years and I'm already feeling the pain of a possibly being forever alone. And suddenly his sister tells him about this girl, misfit in their world who will take over his. Imagine that feeling... I imagine it to be like something, filling up your every void, every hole, nook, cranny. Filling everything up and making you whole. A reason to live for after being 'dead' for a hundred years. A hundred years of seeing everyone feel that sort of completement, and now it was his time. A sort of love that made your eyes glaze over everytime you look at her/him. The sort of love where your heart keeps searching for their presence and all you wanna do is be close, and feel their warmth, their breath, their aura, their essence... everything. The love where wrong or right doesnt exist but they do, and everything they are and they do is perfect, and heart breaking at the same point. And you feel like you have died everyday waiting for them(quote C.Perri), and you feel like you have loved them even before you existed.  And for hers. Someone made for her a hundred years ago, and made to wait for her. To live for her alone. That sort of love only lives in ink and paper, not in the hearts of 'modern men'. 


So, it was a very wonderful theme. But everyone else ruined it. 


Thank you =.=
Totally ruined the movie I created in my head reading all those ink on paper. 


=.=

0 comments:

Post a Comment