Books Galore!

Tuesday 29 November 2011

I kinda realised today why I dont read anymore although books are my life. You see, I'm doing a Science course in a 'hardcore' uni and my course is 3 years as opposed to the usual 4 other unis offer. So, all my time is spent of facts and the 'mechanics of life'. Which, in my opinion has left very little room for fiction in my head. so that is why I lose interest in movies and fictional books I suppose. Maybe. 


But I visited my uni library today to inquire about something and ended up with 4 books, which I'm going to be keeping till next semester. The 4 books are:

  1. Survival of the sickest by Dr. Sharon Moalem
    - Its a 'medical maverick that discovers why we need diseases', well that is what it says here on the cover. Its mostly about why deadly diseases are bred into our genetic code and I think its very fascinating because I am taking genetics next semester and this book will hopefully jumpstart my interest in genetics. (because I tend to lose interest with tough subjects)



  2. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    - This book is a must read for me, because it's part of my boyfie's heritage and also the main protagonists are from his tribe, the Igbo people and according to the reviews online, it is the type of book I can sink myself into. This is what it says in a review from Amazon.com. A masterly, haunting new novel from a writer heralded by The Washington Post Book World as “the 21st-century daughter of Chinua Achebe,” Half of a Yellow Sun re-creates a seminal moment in modern African history: Biafra’s impassioned struggle to establish an independent republic in Nigeria in the 1960s, and the chilling violence that followed. 

                With astonishing empathy and the effortless grace of a natural storyteller, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie weaves together the lives of three characters swept up in the turbulence of the decade. Thirteen-year-old Ugwu is employed as a houseboy for a university professor full of revolutionary zeal. Olanna is the professor’s beautiful mistress, who has abandoned her life of privilege in Lagos for a dusty university town and the charisma of her new lover. And Richard is a shy young Englishman in thrall to Olanna’s twin sister, an enigmatic figure who refuses to belong to anyone. As Nigerian troops advance and the three must run for their lives, their ideals are severely tested, as are their loyalties to one another.


  3. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
    -I loved the title, so I grabbed it. This review on the back cover caught my eye. "It is rare to find a book that so effectively cuts through the clothes of nationality,caste,and religion to reveal the bare bones of humanity. a sensational novel"
    I have a fascination for those things, because in the end, it is those things that separates us humans, nothing else. And I'm guessing this book is going to be awesome  to read


  4. Tales from the Bed by Jenifer Estess-This book is a personal account of a woman suffering from ALS. I actually have no idea what ALS is, but I shall google it later on, and I thought I should borrow it after reading the back cover of the book. This is what it says on the back.

    Six years ago, doctors told Jenifer that she had ALS, and to max out her credit cards, take a long trip, and prepare to die. She could have taken doctors' orders. Instead, Jenifer chose to fight for her dreams with renewed courage. She became a soldier in the fight against ALS by drawing on survival skills she learned when she and her sisters were girls.
    Jenifer wrote from her queen-sized bed in Manhattan, where, as a paralyzed woman facing her mortality, she saw the world. TALES FROM THE BED tells her story of growing up in a typically dysfunctional American family; of her descent into illness; of hilarious, surprising, and heartbreaking encounters with friends and family, lovers, and celebrities; and of her and her sisters' fight to save her life.
And so, 4 books to read during the semester break(which gives boyfie a lot of 'me time' without yours truly 'attacking' him :D

Can't wait to start reading :)

xoxo



0 comments:

Post a Comment